Thursday, February 02, 2017

Review: Essence: I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base

Hello loves!

It has been a while since I've experimented with my eyeshadow color. Since the time I colored my hair purple, I've been struggling to create various colored shadow looks - mostly recreations of Lisa Eldridge's make up looks. However, it saddens me a lot that my Smashbox palette's colored shadows are just not giving me the color I want.

I will just briefly rant about my Smashbox Be Discovered palette before moving on. I feel very frustrated with this palette, it has so many beautiful colors but the color pay-off once applied is so thin. Even when I'm packing on dark colored shadows, they come on smoked, and I can't even build up the color when without base. I even tried wetting the brush, and it also did not work. Even the gel liners are a let down since a lot of the colors they mixed in are quite unique. The liners are also not build-able and the line somewhat disappears as you apply.

So, Dawn had reminded me that for these situations, the best solution would be to get an eyeshadow base. Lucky for me, #beautybackstageph happened and I got introduced to essence's I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base. Here's what I think about it.

Packaging:

The packaging for this product is ok, as most eyeshadow base I've browsed are like this. I'm not particularly a big fan of products that are packaged this way, even lipsticks/stains, because I feel that a lot of the product is wasted as the applicator only stays in the middle and you cannot "simot" the products stuck to the side of the "bottle".


However, I do like the simplicity of the print on the bottle.

Ingredients:


This product is paraben-free, silicone-free. Here is the full list of the ingredients from the Essence site. You can check them out below or at essence's site.


AQUA (WATER), CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, GLYCERIN, ISODODECANE, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, MICA, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, STEAROYL INULIN, CERA ALBA (BEESWAX), DIMETHICONOL, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, TRIMETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, TIN OXIDE, PHENOXYETHANOL, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE)


Performance:


According to the site this maybe used as a base for concealer or eyeshadow, it won't settle on the crease and can make the eyeshadow last longer and intensifies color. So here's how it was on me.



The consistency is creamy but easy to blend/spread out. A small dot can cover pretty much my whole eyelid. It dries on the lid quickly once spread. It does not feel heavy on the lids but is not light enough that you feel like you've nothing on.



Upper - without base; Lower swatch - with base

It does intensify color and has helped in making sure that I can build up the color of my Smashbox palette.


It also somewhat helped in making my lids even in color.




8 am in the morning

However, it could only keep the oiliness of my lids at bay for at least 5-6 hours.


12 noon

After that time passes, my lids started oiling up and the shadow had started to concentrate/rest on my crease. Though I do believe that it has helped lessen the oiliness, as usually, if I do not powder or blot, the oils on my lids start stinging my eyes. I did not experience that here, but as you can see, my lids had become pretty oily after 12 hours.



9 pm

The good thing though is that the color is still pretty much there though it did settle over my crease after some time. I do not recommend it if you're planning on wearing your make-up for more than 8 hours and while you are outside in a humid and hot environment.


Price and Where to buy:


This costs around Php 149 pesos and comes in only one shade. You can find this in any Watson's stores inside SM Department stores.


Final thoughts:


This definitely is a good enough product, especially if you're just using it for when you want a more intense version of you're eyeshadow for office, short trips, and just your everyday type of make-up. It's hardly a steal, but it is a good choice for an affordable base.


I'd give this product a 3.5/5 overall.


Aside from this product they have another eyeshadow base from the same I love collection. I wonder if it is better than this one. If you've tried the other one before, do share with us how it went.


Cheers,

LIZ

No comments:

Post a Comment