Thursday, July 08, 2010

Review: The Face Shop's Vita C Mask Sheet


Trace writes: Good morning everyone! This is my first skincare review - The Face Shop's Vita C Mask Sheet!

This is actually a brave thing for me. I've always had a hard time with my very oily, acne-prone, and troubled skin, and it's only been recently that it has sort of cleared up after countless tries (and I have tried a lot, from dermatology products to OTC items! But more on that in future posts). I've never gone out of my house without foundation on, I feel so... Naked without it. But yes, this time around, I am going to post barefaced shots of myself, no makeup at all.

FYI, my skin now is still very oily, occasional breakouts during that bloody season (ack!), couple of scars here and there. Skintone now is neutral - rosy instead of the very warm yellow I used to have, probably because of all the treatments I've been through.

Anyway, back to the mask:

RASPBERRY & STRAWBERRY BRIGHTENING Vitamin C brightens skin tone and scavenges free radicals to fight aging.

PhP 50 online, probably costs more than a hundred in TFS stores



Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, SD Alcohol 40, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Polyglutamic Acid, PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer, Phaseolus Radiatus Extract, Betula Platyphylla Japonica Bark Extract, Rumex Crispus Root Extract, Fragaria Vesca (Strawberry) Fruit Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Lecithin, Ceramide 3, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Sodium Carbomer, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Red 33 - Cl 17200, Disodium EDTA

So how did the mask fit me? It fitted my tiny face so badly! Eeek! This may be perfect for those with a bigger facial frame, like my sister. 




And more white pancake pictures! Decided to switch from dSLR to my Macbook's cammie. Better lighting in my opinion. But still the same, the mask flapped around my face. Dawn said I look like Jason the serial killer, but with lipstick.


Post-mask: After 15 minutes (it dried pretty quickly, I had to press it on to complete the 15 minutes), the result was a very red, very sticky face! Not itchy, though, but I thought I looked pretty horrible, haha. I still proceeded to apply my night creams over it, and waited for tomorrow.



Result next morning? Non-oily, moisturized, and glowy skin! This product, after all, claims to "brighten skin tone and scavenge free radicals to fight aging". So yes, it did temporarily brighten my skintone since the effect lasted the whole day. I don't know about the free radicals though. 


Bottomline: I agree that there's it's great to pamper yourself with skincare extras once in a while. Though the end result of using this mask is pretty nice, I don't think it is good enough. I always say no to a tomato-red face - even an aspirin mask leaves me with a better outcome. Besides, I could get that soft & smooth effect by putting moisturizer on. So I won't repurchase TFS' Vita C Mask Sheet, but will probably try out a different variant that is more calming for sensitive skin.

Tip: Place the unopened sheet mask on the fridge 10 minutes before application. Nice cooling sensation!
Cheers,
Trace

2 comments: